guix-devel

Re: none

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: none
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 02:41:30 +0200

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 02:51:38PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> In
> <https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/ELIXIR.org#the-gnu-guix-dance-of-getting-packages-accepted>,
> you already identified exactly what we were going to say.  :-)
>
> Namely, why are patches applied in a build phase rather than in
> ‘origin’, why is such and such test disabled (one sentence is usually
> enough), what happens if we set ‘HOME’ like Ben suggests, etc.
>
> What should we do?  :-)

I think I have covered that both in my writeup and in my response to
Ben. I think this work should be accepted as is.

I think this is probably the last package I am contributing to main line.
Never liked dancing that much ;)

But seriously, we should find other ways to encourage people. I wonder
how many packages are out there that never find their way into guix or
much too late. I wonder how much duplicate work is going on because of
our dance requirement. If it this hard *with* my experience in
packaging, how hard do you think it is for people *without*
experience. I know Dennis, for example, is sitting on a heap of opencl
packages which are incredibly useful to many people.

I believe we have to change our ways.

Pj.