guix-devel

Re: Default substitute URLs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Default substitute URLs
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:10:40 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 02:46:55PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I prefer to keep the mirror.hydra.gnu.org name, I think it’s clearer.
>
> Could there not be two, both of which would be checked, so if a package is not
> found on the first one, it is searched on the second one? This would make
> things
> more resilient.

Yes, that’s why we currently have mirror.* followed by hydra.*.

But given that the former is a mirror of the latter, which clients do
not know, it’s a bit silly: when mirror.* lacks an item, clients try
hydra.* but are very unlikely to get a positive answer there.  However,
they pay an extra network query.

Having several URLs pointing to the same server would be similarly
inefficient.

Hope this clarifies things.

Ludo’.