guix-devel

Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 22:46:05 +0200

Hi!

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> I won't be able to attend but if I could attend I'd love to participate in
> hands on sessions.
>
> Just recently I explored the build systems code, I even wrote on the help
> mailing list as I was confused, I also tried to have a brief interactive
> session in a REPL with the store monad
>
> In my opinion, showing that to people would be tremendously helpful.
>
> As for Emacs, as I already have written on the libreplanet mailing list, I
> used to have a hard time with Emacs too and what allowed me to reach a
> turning point was an educational footage I bought on line from the then
> Peepcode, now Pluralsight.
>
> So should you have hands on sessions, while there, showing people how to
> use Emacs and how it is supposed to be useful, and how to explore Guix
> subsystems, my suggestion is to record it all and later publish it.
>
> This could make the event useful even to those who won't  participate.
>
> Video footages are, in my view, a fundamental complement to written
> manuals.

Good to have this feedback.  If we have some sort of a hands-on session,
we’ll try to have good videos, though I guess it’s hard to make good
videos from in-person sessions.  We’ll see!

Did you look at some of the videos at <https://gnu.org/s/guix/help/#talks>?
These are clearly not tutorials, but there are demos, and I wonder how
useful that is as a complement to the manual(s).

Thanks,
Ludo’.