guix-devel

Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:36:27 +0200

Howdy!

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:

> After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> Cuirass.

Cuirass may become an important part of our tool set, so I think it’s
great to have a discussion about it.  Thank you!

>> Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
>> discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> going anywhere.

Yeah, that’s always difficult.

> What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> things like:
>
> - Guile hacking tips
> - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU,
> ...)
>
> What do people think?

That sounds like a good idea.

Topics that stand out for me are (1) the subsystem overview, and (2) the
Emacs interfaces (roughly Geiser + all the components of “guix.el”.)

I think each one of them could take the form of a (possibly
not-too-long) talk, or more a tutorial-style thing if there are enough
attendees who already have experience with Guix.

I’m happy to help with that, but I think there are several other people
who could very well talk about it.  Any volunteers?  :-)

Anyway, we should probably submit something now so we have time for it.

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
> be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
> of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
> click on the toolbar on top would be good.

Cool, that confirms the other suggestions above.  :-)

> Other things to hack on that I've thought about were EFI/u-boot support
> and combining QEMU and guix offload.

Could be fun!  Let’s keep that in mind and we can sit down and
discuss/hack there.

Thanks,
Ludo’.