guix-devel

Re: [Patch] ruby-spring

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: [Patch] ruby-spring
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 09:03:54 +1000

On 02/06/16 05:05, Matthew Jordan wrote:
Good Day,

It is cloudy and cold outside here and the air conditioning is being its usual overzealous self. But at least we won the football. I hope it is a good day for you too.

I have updated the synopsis and the description.  Please see the
following comment also;

+    (arguments
+     `(#:test-target "test:unit"
+       #:phases
+       (modify-phases %standard-phases
+         (add-before 'check 'remove-bump
+           (lambda _
+             (substitute* "spring.gemspec"
+               (("gem.add_development_dependency 'bump'") ""))
+             (substitute* "Rakefile"
+               (("require \\\"bump/tasks\\\"") ""))
+             #t)))))
The files spring.gemspec and Rakefile do not exist.

Not in the gem they don't, but I changed the source field to download the release from GitHub. Unfortunately not including test files in the gem is not uncommon for Ruby libraries (especially rails ones), but we should endeavour to include them where possible.

+(define-public ruby-spring
+  (package
+    (name "ruby-spring")
+    (version "1.7.1")
+    (source
+     (origin
+       (method url-fetch)
+       (uri (rubygems-uri "spring" version))
+       (sha256
+        (base32
+         "165f6n6am36md1lzaivcg9bx09f7iph4vab0f8av2rlza4yi791p"))))
+    (build-system ruby-build-system)
+    (arguments
+     `(#:tests? #f)) ;; no Rakefile found

We should add tests as I suggested in the last email, so this doesn't matter now, but for future reference comments at the end of lines like this by convention are only prefixed by a single ';' not ';;' as you have done here.

+    (synopsis
+     "Spring is a Rails application preloader")

I think it looks better if the synopsis is kept on one line, if possible.

+    (description
+     "Spring is a Rails application preloader.  It speeds up development by
+keeping your application running in the background so you don't need to boot
+it every time you run a test, rake task or migration.")

s/your/the rails/, otherwise looks good.

+    (home-page"https://github.com/rails/spring";)
+    (license expat)))
Shall we keep the same license: prefix in rails.scm as ruby.scm? Then here it would be "license:expat" with appropriate changes to the top of the file.

Thanks,
ben