guix-devel

Re: The waf problem (running nondeterministic binary blobs at build)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The waf problem (running nondeterministic binary blobs at build)
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 15:25:46 +0200

Alex Griffin <address@hidden> skribis:

> Debian replaces all binary 'waf' files with their own
> 'waf-uncompressed'. I think our python-waf package should be altered to
> produce an uncompressed version, then the waf-build-system should
> automatically use that (look at the python-pycairo package for an
> example of using the system's waf version instead of the bundled one).

Sounds like a plan.  We can take this route and adjust if we stumble
upon incompatibilities.

Apparently we’d have 20 packages to audit:

scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(gnu)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix build-system waf)
scheme@(guile-user)> (fold-packages (lambda (p n)
                                      (if (eq? (package-build-system p)
waf-build-system)
                                          (1+ n)
                                          n))
                                    0)
$2 = 20

We can do that incrementally, and patches going in that direction would
be welcome!

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.