guix-devel

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free

From: Felipe Sanches
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 18:22:33 -0300

I will attempt to stop posting to this thread because I think I
already presented all of my points here.

To summarize my conclusions:
I think MAME is likely not compatible with the free sw distro
guidelines. And I think shipping a prebuilt binary package of MAME is
not really useful for **most** of the things that MAME is useful other
than playing non-free games. Whether it should or shouldn't be
acceptable on such distros policies is still an ongoing debate,
though.

I still think that MAME is a very useful asset for education on
electronics, hardware design, reverse engineering techniques, and