guix-devel

Re: Call for testing

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Call for testing
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 21:44:04 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> I tried this.
>
>   + Booting and instructions are great
>   - Please provide and suggest tested desktop.scm and server.scm

Yeah, though each person has their own idea of what “server” or
“desktop” means (to me “desktop” means ratpoison, but I’ve heard about
that GNOME thing that many like to use ;-)).  I guess we could add more
examples, probably not for this time, though.

>   - It seems that network is mandatory.  If that is so, you may want
>     to stress that.  guix system init failed on me several times with
>
>    guix system: error: build failed: while setting up the build environment:
> getting attributes of path `/etc/resolv.conf': No such file or directory.

OK, I’ve added a note to emphasize that.

>     It would be nice if an install was possible without network, e.g.
>     server.scm/minimal.scm.

Yes, though again it’s difficult because any change in the config may
lead to additional downloads.

>   - It seems that after this error, grub still got (half-) installed,
>     because i could not boot anymore :-( Fell into grub rescue> which
>     used to be just great once, but now I could not load a kernel there,
>     because of "error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color" not found" :-(

So you did a ‘guix system init’ that failed with the error above, and
then you rebooted and got a broken GRUB?

Unless I’m mistaken, a “build failed” error prevents the rest of the
installation, including GRUB install, from happening.  Not sure what
happened.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.