guix-devel

Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 08:41:36 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> While we're talking about patches, I'm curious: how are other people
> managing the patches?  In particular, what does the workflow look like
> for people who are committing?  Do you manually download the patch (or
> patches) to a temporary folder, view it/them, and if you like what you
> see, commit it with "git am" to a local repo, then push to origin?

I’m using an email client in Emacs, so the email as well as the attached
patch is shown in a regular text buffer.  When I see the patch I can
directly apply it by running “git am” on the buffer contents, or by
opening a shell and running “git am” on the file associated with the
buffer.

Using Emacs it’s very little work.  It would be more work and probably
more awkward when using an external email client or a web browser.

~~ Ricardo