guix-devel

Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: [REQ/DISCUSSION] patch managing system
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 16:48:50 +0100

Hi,

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> As you maybe already noticed, and I hope this is not just a
> temporary impression I have after ~4 months or so, guix-devel is
> getting an increasing amount of messages per day and per month.

Same feeling here.

> In my opinion this makes it hard to keep track of patches and
> maybe also makes the workflow of people with commit access
> harder and we need a patch managing solution.
[...]
> Ideal case would be:
>  - integration with Guix in the future (the emacs interface and
>    other potential future interfaces)
>  - integration into Guix website
>  - patches can be marked:
>    - state (done/open)
>    - priority
>  - patches can be assigned to more than 1 person
>  - webinterface
[...]
> what are your thoughts?

I think keeping track of patches is a valid concern.  However I think
you are not focusing on the actual problem by speaking of adding other
interfaces.  IMO the crucial point to make life of reviewer easier,
would be to automate the repetitive tasks and to have a way to not
forget old unpushed patches.  I think providing interfaces that are not
email based is orthogonal to this.

To automate the repetitive tasks, Cyril Roelandt had started sometimes
ago to work on a bot that was continuously applying and building
incoming patches on top of master and report (by email) if things were
building correctly.  I think that is a good idea that could be extended
by providing a way to send commands to the bot like what is done for
Debbugs.

Cyril: Do you think the bot option is feasible?

--
Mathieu Lirzin