guix-devel

Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 23:11:40 +0100

Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:

> Over the past month a few people (myself included) have been hit by the
> 'gotcha'
> of not running ./configure with "--localstatedir=/var".

As discussed on IRC, the expected default values are specified in
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html>.
I think it’s reasonable to keep following these rules.

However, for the purpose of avoiding bad surprises (configuring Guix
with the wrong localstatedir), I thought we could have a ‘configure’
check that would compare the chosen localstatedir with the current
installation’s localstatedir, and bail out if they don’t match.

WDYT?

Thanks, and apologies for the delay!

Ludo’.