guix-devel

Re: thesis: guixsd should provide /usr/bin/env

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: thesis: guixsd should provide /usr/bin/env
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 18:00:17 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

[...]

>> One can already do:
>>
>>   guix environment --container --ad-hoc coreutils \
>>     --expose=$(which env)=/usr/bin/env
>>
>> Should we add a --fhs or --/usr/bin/env option to simplify this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Would this possibly screw us up on Hurd, where container support I don't
> think exists?

‘call-with-container’ currently doesn’t work on GNU/Hurd.  So whatever
we do, there’s no regression.  :-)

But I agree with Andy: I think it’s OK to add optional features that
require the Linux kernel.

Besides, ‘call-with-container’ can definitely be ported to GNU/Hurd,
only using different APIs.  After all, the Hurd had “containers”
(lightweight virtualization) right from the beginning.

Ludo’.