guix-devel

recommend the binary install as the path to guixSD?

From: myglc2
Subject: recommend the binary install as the path to guixSD?
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:27:56 -0500

I installed GuixSD from USB ~8 weeks ago. More recently I installed Guix
binary on Debian.  I found the binary install considerably easier.

Based on the web site, I expected Guix and GuixSD to be two different
things. I wanted to better understand the differences. But ultimately I
discovered that Guix and GuixSD are smooshed together.

Isn't it straightforward to install guixSD on a new hard drive if you
have Guix running on a "foreign" distro?

If so, have you considered recommending that users install GuixSD by
first installing Guix binary?

It seems to me that this fits naturally with how many users will want to
check Guix out: First experiment with package management, and, if they
like what they see, install the distro.

For users on this path, it seems a little silly to send them off to
fiddle with a USB key and zile editor if they already have Guix, a real
editor, and familar disk partitioner running on their computer.