guix-devel

Re: gnu: cups: Update to 2.1.3 - request for help patching Makefiles

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: gnu: cups: Update to 2.1.3 - request for help patching Makefiles
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:11:28 +0000

On 2016-02-20 05:57, Leo Famulari wrote:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:18:02PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
Hi

This patch almost work.

I really tried hard understanding what made cups fail after modifying the configure flags and found lines in two makefiles under /notifier:65 and
/scheduler:159 to be patched.

I'm not sure what the specific problem is. If you share the error
messages we may be able to give specific advice.

How do I best create a patch for those?

This is my approach. There may be a better approach but this does work.

$ tar xf $(./pre-inst-env guix build --source foo) && cd foo
$ git init && git add --all && git commit -m "Initial import of
upstream sources"
$ # make changes
$ git add --update && git commit && git format-patch HEAD^

Then, I move the patch into the Guix source tree, add it to the package
definition and gnu-system.am, and see if it works as expected.

Thanks.

I realize that I'm way in over my head in trying to get this cups-package to work.

Could somebody mentor me on this one?

Outstanding issues are:

1) understanding whether patching of the makefiles is necessary given that what we want is it to log to /var/log/cups/? In the case yes I would like to patch the makefiles.

2) understanding how to code the package object to put the cups.conf locally in .guix-profile/etc/cups/cups.conf and if it should be a symlink to the store or an editable file?

Looking at vpnc in http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/vpn.scm I do not quite understand how 2) is achieved as it is not that clearly documented and might be buggy (see other thread). Could somebody point me to a package object that successfully does this?

cheers
sdb
who hopes to be able to contribute to a working cups printing backend and frontend system.