guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 21:49:30 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

What about creating a page at <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix>?

> Anyway, here would be my top items for GSoC:
>
>  - An installer wizard (written in Guile of course!)

For GuixSD I guess?  Sounds like good idea, of course.

>  - g-expressions which generate packages of the Guix package manager for
>    .deb and .rpm based distros, and work to get those upstream in Debian
>    and Fedora

That would be useful, and CheckInstall may be good enough for that.  I
don’t think it’s “enough” for GSoC, though.  WDYT?

>  - Perhaps some kind of non-emacs, non-cli package (and system
>    management?) interface.  Maybe GTK based?

Definitely.  Both a guile-curses-based and a GTK+-based thing would be
nice.  For the latter we need to check whether PackageKit can be of any
use (this has been discussed in the past and my impression was that it
is biased towards “traditional” distros with just a single root-managed
profile.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.