guix-devel

Re: R

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: R
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 21:48:24 +0100

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 08:02:36PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> Okay. I am giving it a try on arm right now. It looks like we should
>> then also drop "--with-lapack"; the documentation states that this has only
>> an effect when "--with-blas" is also given:
>>    https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#LAPACK
>>
>> If compilation succeeds on arm now, I will see whether a reference to lapack
>> is retained or not.
>
> Well, compilation succeeded! We will see whether this will also be the
> case on mips.
>
> And there is still a reference to lapack, so I am not touching the
> "--with-lapack" configure flag for now.

I would suggest to drop “--with-lapack”, too.  (I haven’t found the time
to try building without this flag just now.)  The manual says:

    “However, the likely performance gains are thought to be small (and
    may be negative), and the default is not to search for a suitable
    LAPACK library, and this is definitely not recommended.

    [...]

    Please do bear in mind that using --with-lapack is ‘definitely not
    recommended’: it is provided only because it is necessary on some
    platforms and because some users want to experiment with claimed
    performance improvements. Reporting problems where it is used
    unnecessarily will simply irritate the R helpers.”

I don’t remember why I added it in the first place, so I think it’s best
to drop it, considering that the manual tells us only to do it if we
know what we want to achieve by adding it.

~~ Ricardo