guix-devel

Re: Unprivileged power managing in GuixSD: dbus-send not working

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Unprivileged power managing in GuixSD: dbus-send not working
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:27:06 +0100

address@hidden skribis:

> I'm using GuixSD with xfce recently pulled, reconfigured and restarted.
>
> I have found that power managing dbus-send commands (from
> http://andrusiv.com/blog/2011/12/12/shutdown-dbus.html) does not work
> at all, eg:

I think you’ll find it easier to use the ‘upower’ command, which does
something equivalent:

  $(guix build upower)/bin/upower --dump

Works for me on current GuixSD.

> $ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
> /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager
> org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop
>
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files

That’s expected: we don’t use ConsoleKit (it’s deprecated.)

> $ dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower
> /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
>
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Suspend" with
> signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.UPower" doesn't exist
>
> Is this because dbus / polkit is currently misconfigured?

Good question, I’m not sure what’s going on here.  Stracing dbus-daemon
doesn’t reveal anything obvious.

Anyone D-Bus-savvy has ideas?

> Is there anything I can do about it? I'm guessing the incapability of
> the xfce power menu to function is related to this.

Probably.

Thanks,
Ludo’.