guix-devel

Re: command-not-found

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: command-not-found
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:45:08 +0100

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Seeing as guix is becoming more and more complete, it would be great to
>>> have 'command-not-found' [1] or similar available, so that typing in the
>>> name of an uninstalled binary begets a suggestion on which package(s) to
>>> install, like Ubuntu gives:
>>>
>>> $ gitk
>>> The program 'gitk' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
>>> sudo apt-get install gitk
>>
>> For the record: I never liked this feature (and the delay it caused) and
>> I’m not too keen on having something like this for Guix.
>
> +1

I guess you never liked it because it is has never been helpful to you.
IMO this feature can be really useful for novice or casual GNU/Linux
users.  Even if Guix/GuixSD is currently not adapted for this audience,
it goes in the right direction of empowering not just the seasoned users
which is part of the social mission of Free Software.

I don't know the details of implementing such feature, or the supposed
“delay”.  Maybe there is a valid technical reason for not having it, but
it would be better to not dismiss this idea on a vague assumption
(Especially when someone seems to be motivated to do the job).

Could this feature be made optional?

--
Mathieu Lirzin