guix-devel

Re: Moving to beta? When?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Moving to beta? When?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 10:08:26 +0200

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:40:29 -0600
Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Guix is super stable for me these days.  In a sense, more stable than
> any other system I've ever run.  We also are quickly moving to the point
> where *most* core packages people need are there.
>
> I think the Alpha label is too conservative.  Once gnome-shell lands, or
> once the next release comes out, what do people think about Beta?

I was going to save it for a 0.10 vs 1.0 debate, but here makes sense also :)
I think it also comes down to what are we missing? Not necessarily for beta,
but more as a list between "here" and "1.0 worthy."

gnome(-shell) and kde: I think many people would expect these

installer: I haven't looked at the gentoo or archlinux installer recently,
but ours looks similar in terms of "here's a shell, go ahead and bootstrap
it." Also we have some lingering issues like /home on a different partition,
actually partitioning and formatting the device, and maybe more.

guix pull: super slow as-is :) going back to the gentoo comparison, iirc
gentoo rsyncs the svn repo, and we all know how fast `git pull && make` is.

anything else?

> That still sounds like "not quite production ready for everyone" but
> Alpha hardly feels fair to Guix anymore.  (The most alpha thing about
> GuixSD thing at this point is the install process, and hey, it's like
> going oldschool with my install again.... :))
>
> Or, when to switch?
>  - Chris

On the other side, gnome-shell sounds like a good cut-off for beta.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר