guix-devel

Re: guixsd offline installation media

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: guixsd offline installation media
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:19:14 +0100

If you are on a slow connection (and 90% of the world IS on a slow
connection) downloads are a problem. I am in Africa now. Guix
pull is one problem - I accidentily did that and now I can't do
anything because it wants to fetch a complete rebuilt Guix. But also
installing by package is problematic, though I appreciate that
Guix does not load things twice (well, actually it does when a
transaction gets interrupted or fails - we could avoid that by caching
intermediate source tar balls and binary downloads, really no reason
not to since they have hashes too).

Similar to the minimal tar-ball release we could provide a bare-bones,
desktop, desktop for developers, and 'sumo' release quite easily and
seed those with torrents. I think. It would also make sense to sell
DVD's or USB's with Guix installed. Maybe a little side-business for
the FSF?

Pretty much what Debian does.

Even though Guix is a rolling update distribution, tar-ball installs
make sense.

Pj.