guix-devel

Re: Update mafft to 7.245.

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: Update mafft to 7.245.
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 09:27:59 +1000

Hi,
Other than that the patch does look fine.  If you confirm that this is
what you intended then I’ll push it as is.
Thanks, if you are happy. This was just supposed to be a simple update..
Sorry for the delay!  It just never feels good to me to propagate
inputs.  If ever this can be avoided with a bit of patching I’d like to
try that first.
Oh you misunderstand. I just meant when I started out I figured this would be a simple version bump, but things got a bit more complicated. The package is much better for your review.
I tried adding a check procedure but this didn't work: mafft refused to
run, when it runs just fine from the store. I was loath to debug that.
Instead, I was wondering if there was a way to test after installation?
If these tests could be run in a container that excluded native-inputs
(but perhaps some extra test-specific dependencies if required), then I
think such a procedure could be generally quite useful. It would catch
the errors I made in the original patch, for instance.
You could reorder the phases such that the check phase runs after
installation.  We do this for some Python packages as well.  It’s just a
matter of

    (delete 'check)
    (add-after 'install 'check
      (lambda ...))
Sure, but this lambda will be run with the native-inputs present, no?
Do you want to give this a try or shall I just apply the latest patch
you sent, leaving this for some time later?
Let's just push if you don't mind. The test themselves also fail, presumably because they are out of date, with some minor alignment issues. I'll talk to upstream and maybe snag a check target in the process.

Thanks,
ben