guix-devel

Re: Contributor covenant

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Contributor covenant
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:13:28 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that this code of conduct pretends to give a warranty of
> an "harassment-free experience", which is is a slippery slope (Sorry to
> not be able to expand more on it in english).  IMHO it would be
> preferable to revert this commit, and let the necessary decisions be
> taken case by case when a bad behavior among Guix contributors arise.

I did not read the code of conduct as a warranty.  It is a declaration
of intent, shows that we as a project are aware of social obstacles in
contributing to free software projects and actively try to avoid and
remove them.

The code of conduct also serves as a basis for negotiating incidents,
which have not yet happened.  The very fact that a contact person is
available in these cases and a simple process to deal with incidents is
outlined might be sufficient for potential contributors (some of which
may have been burned by hostile project communities) to join us without
worries.

Given the current beautiful state of the community surrounding Guix I
don’t see any negative effects this code of conduct could possibly have.

~~ Ricardo