guix-devel

Re: failing packages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: failing packages
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:25:44 +0200

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:

> bwa:
> fails on non-x86_64 targets.
> This package is part of bioinformatics.scm so it may not be intended for
> non-x86_64 targets.

Yes, I think it makes sense to just declare x86_64 as the only supported
system.  Unfortunately, most bioinfo packages pretend that x86_64 is the
only system.

> eigen:
> fails on non-x86_64 targets.
> As per their website http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
> this package may need special attention for compile flags for non-x86 targets.

This has bit me too as it makes it impossible to use Guitarix on i686.

> ibus-libpinyin:
> fails on all targets with the following error during the configure phase:
> configure.ac:130: warning: macro 'AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
> autoreconf:
> running:
> /gnu/store/7zdchnk3sl66wqf2a7pis7ahwf4f1dr1-autoconf-2.69/bin/autoconf
> --force configure.ac:130: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
> I leave it as an exercise to the audience to figure out what's missing :)

I have a fix for this locally which I will submit/push soon.  This broke
after a change to the gtk-or-glib-build-system in core-updates and I
haven’t yet found the time to polish the patch for submission.

> I forget the exact reason I started writing this email, but I think the plan
> was to point out that some build failures on hydra should be not too hard to
> fix, and some just need some extra help on armhf/mips64el to compile
> correctly. If we think of hydra more as a build test system and only
> secondarily for providing binary substitues then checking the failures and
> trying to fix them becomes more obvious, and not just for when its something
> we wanted built.

Agreed!

I would like to note that I find it quite hard to use the hydra
interface as it doesn’t seem to support filtering.  (Do we have an Emacs
mode for displaying hydra tables?)  Currently it’s a bit discouraging to
work go through the list of failures without a convenient way to
restrict the list to certain architectures or failure type.

~~ Ricardo