guix-devel

Re: Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:26:23 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

 > Thanks for your kind words, and welcome!

Thanks for your welcome!

 > > So is there a Guix-y way to add info files from packages to Emacs'
 > > info directory?
 >
 > When software is installed in a profile, Guix automatically updates the
 > ‘dir’ file in that profile.
 >
 > Then you really have to set INFOPATH accordingly,

I hadn't noticed the global 'dir' before. So, yes,

  INFOPATH=$GUIX_PROFILE/share/info

is enough to make everything work. But is there a good reason not
to include this setting in $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile ?

 > there’s no way Emacs (or even the standalone reader, I would expect)

The standalone reader does find everything. Even the one from my basic
Debian install finds the Guix manual, although I can't say how.

 > If you do so, C-h i will open ~/.guix-profile/share/info/dir and you’ll
 > be happy.  ;-)

I am! Long live Emacs!  :-)

Thanks,
  Konrad.