guix-devel

Re: We are Neanderthals!

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: We are Neanderthals!
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:55:31 +0200

> Only antique Neanderthals type two spaces after a period:

Oh, so we are the more modern Neanderthals then, compared to the common
neolithic Neanderthals.  I take that as a compliment ;)

——

Emacs users have a good reason to use two spaces between sentences:
‘forward-sentence’ (M-e, M-a) uses ‘sentence-end’ to figure out the end
of a sentence and this is what the help says about the default value:

    The default value specifies that in order to be recognized as the
    end of a sentence, the ending period, question mark, or exclamation
    point must be followed by two spaces, with perhaps some closing
    delimiters in between.  See Info node `(elisp)Standard Regexps'.

With a single space it’s more difficult to distinguish sentence endings
from the single space after abbreviations or titles like “Mrs.”.

(I only started using two spaces after a sentence end since using
Emacs.)