guix-devel

'origin' indentation rule.

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: 'origin' indentation rule.
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 23:26:17 +0200

Hi,

While reviewing patches I got confused when I discovered that
indentation for 'origin' is not consistent in package definitions.

Since commit 35ef3633001b05c25324c6e5a69d635ddc62cb6d, which add

   (eval . (put 'origin 'scheme-indent-function 0))

In .dir-locals.el, it seems that there has been quite a lot of commits
since then that don't use this rule.  Even in the manual the "suggested"
way is not clear since for example "doc/package-hello.scm" uses the rule,
but (info "(guix)Defining Packages") doesn't.

I failed to retrieve the post where this rule has been suggested (if
there is one), so I don't know the rationale behind it.  My personnal
opinion is that for the sake of simplicity and column saving we should
remove it. But Whatever the final decision is, I think it's important to be
consistent at least in the manual and the importers.

--
Mathieu Lirzin