guix-devel

Re: Installing a custom package on Guix binary setup

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Installing a custom package on Guix binary setup
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 08:34:50 +0200

> Wow, thanks! It worked fine. Instead of Emacs I built a modified R
> package, without texlive and icedtea6. After defining the
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH variable I moved there "my-R.scm", which included:
>
> (define-module (my-r)
>   #:use-module ...) ; same as in statistics.scm
>
> (define-public my-r
>   (package
>    ...)) ; commenting out the unwanted inputs

An alternative is to inherit from the “r” package in “statistics.scm”.

    (define-module (my own packages)
      #:use-module (guix packages)
      #:use-module (gnu packages statistics)
      #:use-module (srfi srfi-1))

    (define-public my-r
      (package (inherit r)
        (name "my-r")
        ;; modify only the inputs here
        (native-inputs (alist-delete "texlive" (package-native-inputs r)))

        (inputs (alist-delete "icedtea6" (package-inputs r)))))

> Then ran 'guix package -i my-r'. Some substitutes were downloaded (I
> guess that's not always safe/recommended?), R 3.2.2 got compiled and
> that's it!

Substitutes are downloaded from hydra only if hydra has been authorized
as a source for binary substitutes.  You can revoke permission for hydra
or temporarily disable the use of substitutes with the flag
‘--no-substitutes’.

~~ Ricardo