guix-devel

Re: Texinfo in descriptions?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Texinfo in descriptions?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:10:07 +0300

Mathieu Lirzin (2015-08-28 00:04 +0300) wrote:

>> With Benno being OK, we should start looking at implementing the change.
>> The various parts that I can think of are:
>>
>>   • Having a ‘package-description-string’ procedure that would return
>>     the description rendered as a string, using the (stexi) modules.
>>
>>   • ‘--search’ could use the raw description (including markup).
>>     However, ‘package->recutils’ must use ‘package-description-string’
>>     or similar.
>
> Here is a first attempt.  It doesn't feel right to me but fornow I don't
> know what to do without duplicating code or reorganizing the world.  The
> problem is that translations are handle in (guix ui) so we need to
> regenerate texi->plain-text.

I don't understand what you mean by 'regenerate texi->plain-text'.

> -  (define (description->recutils str)
> -    (let ((str (P_ str)))
> +  (define (description->recutils str)
> +    (let ((str (texi->plain-text (P_ str))))

IIUC there is no need to use 'texi->plain-text' here.  Instead you can
replace 'package-description' with 'package-description-string' in the
body of 'package->recutils'.  Or did I miss anything?

Also I think the same replacement should be done in (guix scripts lint)
and (guix scripts package).

The rest looks absolutely fine for me.
--
Alex