guix-devel

Re: haskell-mode

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: haskell-mode
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:50:32 +0200

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Alex Kost <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Federico Beffa (2015-08-03 10:50 +0300) wrote:

[...]

>>> From my point of view, if we want to be consistent we should use the
>>> same prefix for all packages providing Emacs libraries/extensions.
>>> Choices based on feelings are just going to make things confusing.

Agreed.

So I agree we should rename the other packages as well.  The problem
that will make it disruptive is that the UIs don’t know about renames,
so ‘guix package -u’ for instance will never upgrade ‘geiser’ etc. and
people may not notice.

Maybe we should fix that first.

A simple idea that comes to mind would be to have definitions like:

  (define-syntax-rule (define-deprecated-alias variable pkg old-name)
    (define-public variable
      (package
        (inherit pkg)
        (name old-name)
        (properties `((deprecated-alias . ,pkg))))))

  ;; The new package is called “emacs-geiser”; previous it was called
  ;; “geiser”.
  (define-deprecated-alias old-geiser geiser "geiser")

and somehow have (guix profiles) handle it nicely.  That is, installing
“geiser” would automatically install “emacs-geiser” and emit a warning;
upgrading a profile containing “geiser” would upgrade to “emacs-geiser”
and emit a warning.

Any takers?

Ludo’.