guix-devel

Re: Why does glibc provide bash?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Why does glibc provide bash?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:21:59 +0200

Heya Mark, good to see you here too :)

On Tue 11 Aug 2015 06:23, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>     $ ls -l `which bash`
>>     lrwxrwxrwx 11 root guixbuild 63 Jan  1  1970
>> /home/wingo/.guix-profile/bin/bash ->
>> /gnu/store/5995q4p9ayvicd8qxjmn8zrwis4y7a8c-glibc-2.21/bin/bash
>
> Indeed, we should have dealt with this issue long ago, but it seems to
> have fallen through the cracks.  The following email, including the
> quotations, summarizes the problems and possible solutions:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-03/msg00349.html

I see that glibc depends on static-bash as an input, but why would
installing glibc cause me to have a static bash in my profile?

Is it because the glibc package installs bash to its $bindir, or because
the input is being propagated correctly, or because the input is being
propagated incorrectly?

I read through the linked mail a few times but if the answer is there, I
missed it.

The circular dep issue sounds pretty exciting but it seems like there
might be another bug here.  Dunno.  I wonder how Nix deals with this.

Andy