guix-devel

Re: Texinfo in descriptions?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: Texinfo in descriptions?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:49:03 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:24:10PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> With Benno being OK, we should start looking at implementing the change.

Good news! I'm interested in implementing this change.  I can't dedicate
my time to do this right now, but I can do it within a period of one
month.  If someone is willing to do the work sooner, I have no problem
with that.

> Is there a consensus on the usefulness of the change? So far (but this may
> be a classical case of confirmation bias) I noticed mainly voices against
> the use of markup or at least with moderated enthusiasm.

I agree with you that there is room for discussion.

IMO Texinfo markup is a good compromise between using HTML or ASCII.  It
is lightweight enough to not be intrusive, and It is not specific to
Guix.  I think the last point is important because choosing texinfo
means we have a full documentation to which we can refer, plus an already
implemented Guile module for text manipulation.  Eventually using
texinfo participate in the unity of the GNU project.

At least my enthusiasm cannot be described as moderated now ;).  My
concerns were about translation issues but since we got the green light
from Benno, I am totally OK with the choice of texinfo.

--
Mathieu Lirzin