guix-devel

Re: guix environment & PS1

From: 韋嘉誠
Subject: Re: guix environment & PS1
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:00:43 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Ricardo Wurmus
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Thompson, David <address@hidden> writes:
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Ricardo Wurmus
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would it be feasible to give "GUIX_ENVIRONMENT" the package name as a
>>> value instead of just "t"?
>>
>> Not really, because 'guix environment' accepts any number of packages.
>
> Oh, right.  I forgot about ad-hoc environments and “guix environment
> -l”.
>
> I’m mostly using “guix environment” with a single package name, and for
> that purpose it would be nice if I could make the shell prompt indicate
> for what package this environment was created.  I guess “t” as a value
> for “GUIX_ENVIRONMENT” will have to do then.

As the variable is mostly meant for human-readable display, I think
setting it to "guix guile emacs" if those were the packages given, or
"mypackage.scm" if that was the file given, is strictly an improvement
over "t". People who just want to know if we're in a constructed
environment or not can check if the variable exists.