guix-devel

Re: Update on GuixSD containers

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Update on GuixSD containers
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:08:30 +0200

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Sure, it would work, but my concern is that a long-running process on
>>> a user's machine could create and orphan tons of child processes and
>>> nothing would be able to clean them up until the PID namespace is
>>> garbage collected.
>>
>> My understanding was that killing a container’s PID 1 (from the outside)
>> effectively killed all the processes of that PID name space.  Isn’t it
>> the case?
>
> Yes, that is the case.  That triggers the "garbage collection" of that
> namespace, if you will.  My point is that, without a proper PID 1 that
> can DTRT with orphaned processes, a long running process in a
> container could potentially create a ton of orphaned child processes
> with no way for them to be reaped without killing PID 1.  I wouldn't
> be very happy if a program that I was running in a sandbox was
> polluting the process list.  I don't think this is a concern for the
> build daemon because the build process is a (relatively) short-lived
> process, but running something like a web browser could go on for
> days, weeks, etc.

Yes, I understand.  This is definitely an important concern for full
GuixSD containers.

However, ‘eval-in-container’ would be much simpler, synchronous, and
typically for short-lived processes.  So I guess the process that runs
‘eval-in-container’ would clone(2) (via ‘call-with-container’) and
simply waitpid(2) the child process (which is PID 1 in its container).

When the parent process gets a SIGINT or SIGHUP, it could send SIGKILL
to the child, thereby terminating the container.

Does that make sense?

>> (The daemon works around that by running processes under a separate UID
>> and doing kill(-1, SIGKILL) under that UID.)
>
> So, PID 1 in the build container forks and changes the UID or
> something?

Yes, with setuid (see build.cc:2180.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.