guix-devel

Re: guix edit

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: guix edit
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:55:13 +0200

On 2015-06-17 21:15, address@hidden wrote:
Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> skribis:

A usecase, I have in mind from experience, is being in vm/container
and having to edit the recipe for that specific vm *but* that recipe
is in the main normal repository. Like for instance, gcc for a
specific target. `guix edit gcc:4.5' should open or clone the correct
recipe.

Yes, ‘guix edit gcc-4.7’ edits the recipe for GCC 4.7.4.

I'm not sure this is real usecase for guix or maybe it's not required at all and was specific to the way we were working in my company. I think it's not supported right now in guix, but in Gentoo it does. You can have serveral repositories and some repositories specific to one target. GCC 4.7 can be overriden in the target specific repository. The reason this is helpful, is that when we put a software version in stable - ready to be built, we are sure it has no impact on other targets.

Right now it can of work with the env variable that guix package use to look for packages.

Regards