guix-devel

Re: GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 3+4 report.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 3+4 report.
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 22:48:48 +0200

Manolis Ragkousis <address@hidden> skribis:

> Hey Thomas, thank you for looking into this.
>
> On 2 June 2015 at 18:55, Thomas Schwinge <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Shame on me, but I've never actively used/built Guix before.  I do know
>> about <https://github.com/Phant0mas/Guix-on-Hurd>, and that there must be
>> a Guix manual existing -- but can you help me get started, please?
>> (Pointers to specific parts of documentation are appreciated, of course.)
>
> So let's start with the easy one. Currently Guix can be used only of top of a
> GNU/Linux system. So with that in mind, clone the repo (the one from savannah
> git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix.git )
> on one such system and make sure you have the dependencies mentioned at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Requirements> installed.

Alternately, there’s a really easy way: grab the binary tarball and
follow the steps at <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/download/> (make
sure to check the ownership of /var and /root after unpacking it; the
extracting the current tarball will incorrectly change the owner.)

>From there:

  git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix.git
  cd guix
  git checkout wip-hurd
  guix environment guix
  autoreconf && ./configure --localstatedir=/var \
    --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/gnu/store/... && make

> After it fails go to /tmp/nix-build-gcc-4.7...  and there you can find
> the failed build. Everything will be there.
> As for the the logs, they can  be found with "ls -ltr
> /usr/local/var/log/guix/drvs/*/*".

.. or “guix build gcc-4.7 --target=i686-pc-gnu --log-file”.

Ludo’.