guix-devel

Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Is it possible add 'Guix package manager without "make install"' to guix doc?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 18:30:48 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> Feng Shu writes:
>
>> Christopher Allan Webber's blog: Guix package manager without "make install"
>>

>> http://dustycloud.org/blog/guix-package-manager-without-make-install/
>>
>> seem very useful, is it possible add to guix doc?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I'd have no problems adding it to the doc and licensing it as GFDL
> appropriately if people think it would be useful.
>
> It has been referenced a lot on IRC lately, it seems.
>
> However I'm not sure the way it's written currently could be directly
> dumped into the documentation.  It seems to need adjustments, though I'm
> not sure exactly how it could be adjusted.

What I would like is to have a “Guix Development” section in the manual,
along the lines of “Running Guix before it is installed” in ‘HACKING’,
but marked as a developer’s trick.

I do not feel like explicitly inviting users to do “alias
guix=~/guix/pre-inst-env guix”, though, because that seems a bit hacky.
;-)

WDYT?

For the Emacs part, I think setting ‘load-path’,
‘geiser-guile-load-path’, and ‘guix-load-path’ would be enough.  Maybe
that part of the doc needs to be adjusted?

Thanks,
Ludo’.