guix-devel

Re: Guix feedbacks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix feedbacks
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 21:58:36 +0200

Daniel Pimentel <address@hidden> skribis:

> First, site: I like the new Guix website. It's beautiful design, so if
> you put a carrousel effect in screenshot pictures, maybe have more
> beautiful.

Personally I’m happier without a carousel.  :-)

> In documentation, there isn't command like "ifconfig eno1 up" for
> example. Why I speak about it? Because in some cases the interface not
> get IP with only "dhclient eno1", so in a lot of times I needed this
> command (up interface), so my suggestion is put in documentation
> too. References:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html
> and
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html#FOOT11

Right, this was reported in
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20582>.  We’ll add a note
in the documentation.

> After install GuixSD 0.8.2, the Grub image (the GuixSd wallpaper, it's
> amazing) not appear. I need to update system (guix pull; guix system
> reconfigure /etc/config.scm)

Oh this is weird.

I just tried:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix system init -n gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl /tmp
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
La jenaj derivoj estus konstruataj:
   /gnu/store/brc96mkj6kif5xn86g4a45s9p9nxj8s9-system.drv
   /gnu/store/gv5n9xgwrmddkj6xkvrhsgnq9h28571j-grub.cfg.drv
[...]

and it shows that grub.cfg is going to be built; grub.cfg.drv does
depend on the background image, and the resulting grub.cfg refers to the
background image as expected.

I guess a fresh install is needed to debug this.

> I wrote in my blog about free software, GNU, Guix, Emacs, XFCE and
> others things. So, I'd like opinion about it. Link:
> https://d4n1.org/guix-install/

Nice!  The URL of the installation image is wrong though.

Thanks for the feedback, it’s helpful!

Ludo’.