guix-devel

Re: wip-http-pipelining needs testing!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: wip-http-pipelining needs testing!
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:34:14 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Last month Mark installed Nginx on Hydra, with proper caching of
> narinfos.  After some debugging, wip-http-pipelining is now in a good
> shape: it has performance comparable to what we currently have, *and*
> it’s single-threaded and shows a progress report while downloading
> substitute info (aka. narinfo.)
>
> I would very much welcome further testing.  To do that, you need to run
> the daemon like this (you need both the daemon and ‘guix
> substitute-binary’ from this branch):
>
>   sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=whatever ...
>
> Then just use the guix commands with substitutes enabled.  To force an
> update, you can clear the local cache with a command like:
>
>   sudo rm -rf /var/guix/substitute-binary/cache/
>
> See <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-06/msg00069.html>
> for some background.

I realized that the best way to get more testing was to merge it, so
here goes.  :-)

Hopefully it’ll make our lives brighter.  The worst that can happen is
for things to become slower.  This may be the case when you stumble upon
narinfos not yet cached by nginx on hydra.gnu.org.  Fortunately, as the
number of users tends to infinity, the probability of querying a
non-cached narinfo tends to zero.

Feedback and bug reports welcome!

Ludo’.