guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:09:28 +0000

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a mockup for the website:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-black-header.png

The black header looks strange because the rest of the page is very light.

> And some variants with white and yellow headers:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-white-header.png

I prefer that one because the logo looks better & header contrast is better.
It doesn't look strange with the next part, which has a strong color.

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-yellow-header.png

- less constrast
- logo is good but I'm not sure it will work the same over a white background

Here my first few impressions:

About the part just below the header :

- in the text, emphase done in black seems "bizarre" to me
- the monitor looks good, maybe the screen has too much shadow
- the banner is good & convincing

- the button are too dark and the text shadow shifts too far
- the color of the button goes with the background found in the monitor, what happens when the background change?
- I'm not sure about the button color (complementary color).
- Maybe a button like http://clojurescriptone.com/ might work better (without the font and smaller)
- I think that only the download button (with last version number somewhere) is required. Overview is already visible in screenshot section & header.
- I'm not sure the wave separator is the best thing. That's what makes it more "casual".

In the screenshot section, maybe a link to "overview" is required.

There is no blog link in the header
There is no about link in footer. I'm not sure an about page is required, since the frontpage can do that job.

There is no mention of guix package manager.

Maybe doing a mockup including a FSF campaign banner, to avoid akward design in this situations.

The overall looks very good. It's looks unique & modern. The page is not too large & the font size not too small. Very good job. Among all the above, it's really the complementary color that looks odd. It has its strength, but it seem old fashioned to me.

On Mon Feb 16 2015 at 10:14:17 AM Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer <address@hidden> wrote:
Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a mockup for the website:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-black-header.png
>
> And some variants with white and yellow headers:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-white-header.png
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/home-yellow-header.png
>
> As always, feedback is very welcome.

Great!  I like it how friendly the page is.  My only beef is that I
dislike "plastic" looks, but that might be just my personal preference.
Would have preferred a more "professional" look to give a hint of the
technical superiority of the system. ;-)

I think I like the yellow header most.

Taylan