guix-devel

Re: missing input and more

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: missing input and more
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 19:01:18 +0800

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 08:05:03AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>> 1] ldd shows run-time dependency:
>> $ ldd
>> /gnu/store/0mfgwxgqyhlvi5xyi1j2lbr3ygczsdyp-gnutls-3.2.21/lib/libgnutls.so |
>> grep libz
>>        libz.so.1 =>
>> /gnu/store/x8cg3irwf8y2mkr88bqmsqhadi71xf6s-zlib-1.2.7/lib/libz.so.1
>> (0x00007fe4fac90000)
>
> That is fine - so there is a dependency, but our rpath recoding handles it.
> So far, there is no need for zlib as a propagated input - we do not need to
> install it into the user profile when installing gnutls.
>
>> Libs.private: -lz        -lgmp
>> Requires.private: nettle, hogweed, libtasn1, zlib
>
> Reading up the documentation of pkg-config:
> "Requires and Requires.private define other modules needed by the library.
> It is usually preferred to use the private variant of Requires to avoid
> exposing unnecessary libraries to the program that is linking with your
> library. If the program will not be using the symbols of the required library,
> it should not be linking directly to that library."
Ah, I think libraries in 'Requires.private' should also be propagated,
otherwise, we got:
  $ pkg-config --cflags gnutls
  = Package 'zlib', required by 'GnuTLS', not found
If not propagated, other packages use gnutls have to add zlib to inputs,
even they never use it.

I just pushed a commit to propagate zlib for gnutls,
hope I'm not wrong ;-)