guix-devel

Re: A couple roadblocks using guix

From: Omar Radwan
Subject: Re: A couple roadblocks using guix
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:59:08 -0800

>I think this is the same problem as <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>, which
>was fixed a while back.

Is there any way to fix this problem for the time being without having to wait for a release?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Omar Radwan <address@hidden> skribis:

> One of the things is that during system initialization, the (gnu system
> networking) module returns an error which reads "guix system: error: failed
> to load operating system file '/mnt/etc/config.scm': (misc-error #f "~A ~S"
> ("no code for module" (gnu system networking)) #f)
> and that kind of makes things really annoying to manually restart
> networking every reboot.

There’s a typo in the 0.8 manual (which was fixed in fa1e31b8): it
should read (gnu services networking).

> Another thing is that is sort of a problem is during a windowmaker X
> session, all my graphical applications(xterm, icecat, etc), are not listed
> in the application menu and are not runnable

I think this is the same problem as <http://bugs.gnu.org/19119>, which
was fixed a while back.

This suggests that it’s high time for a release.  ;-)

> The last thing is that I have not found any meta-packages, which allow me
> to install multiple packages that are needed for the same program, like for
> instance, there is gcc, make, cmake, and all the bread-and-butter build
> programs, but you have to name each in the "guix package -i *" declaration
> to install, but if there was some metapackage, like buildessential (I come
> from Debian).

Right.  There’s one such meta-package, which is ‘gcc-toolchain’.
Perhaps more are needed.

OTOH, ‘guix environment’ can really do “meta-packages on demand”, so to
speak, so I wonder whether things like ‘build-essential’ make so much
sense in that context.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.