guix-devel

Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:02:44 +0100

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:46:35AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> It would be the *GUIX project* the one who would benefit if decisions
> would be taken based on technical arguments and merits instead of
> feelings or the mood of the day.

Why do you suggest that my message was inspired by feelings or the mood
of the day? In fact, it was rather by the principles and design choices
we have made (without necessarily writing them down) in the past.
Especially with little available work power, I think it is important that we
do not make too many modifications to the upstream packages; there are
distributions out there with a tendency to become more or less upstream
themselves... On the long run, this would be a nightmare to maintain.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 11:47:20AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:
> > If we choose to do that, then for consistency we should also
> > do (setenv "LEX" "flex") and (setenv "YACC" "bison")  Possibly a few others
> > too.
> Bah, this suggests that it’s a can of worms.

I think this makes exactly my technical point above...

Now we can and do make exceptions. About the particular issue, I do not
have very strong feelings. I fail to see why '(setenv "CC" "gcc")'
in cases where it is necessary poses major problems; but having a symlink
would also be okay. But if we go for the latter, I think you should bring
it up with the gcc project first.

Andreas