guix-devel

Re: New year, new name!

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: New year, new name!
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 10:09:09 -0500

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Guix!
>
> Long story short, I’m tempted to refer to the standalone distro as
> “Guixotic”.  The name was proposed by RMS; it’s a play on words that
> makes fun of criticisms that have depicted the GNU project as
> “quixotic”.  And it has the advantage of starting with “Guix”.  (The
> other name that I liked is “Geist”, which someone proposed on IRC, but
> it lacks those traits.)

I don't like "Guixotic" very much.  It's quite awkward to say and read
for the first time.  On a purely sonic level, I like the way "Geist"
sounds more.

I don't want this discussion to go on forever, and I'll yield to
whichever name is the most popular, but maybe it would be nice to have
two more reasonable names to choose from.  I was perusing words that
start with "G" and saw "Gingko", which is a cool plant native to
China, and "Ganymede", a Greek god and one of Jupiter's moons.  Or how
about we do away with humility, and call it "Glorious"? ;)

That's all I have to share.  Hope I didn't open a can of worms.

- Dave