guix-devel

xorg-server successfully built on mips64el

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: xorg-server successfully built on mips64el
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:48:22 -0500

FYI, the recent mesa and xorg-server updates have resulted in 31 new
successful builds on mips64el:

  http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/102200#tabs-now-succeed

Our current xorg-server still won't work on a Loongson2F-based machines,
which require some small but horrible patches that make it work _only_
on those machines.  (As I vaguely recall, the relevant patch hardcodes
the address of the framebuffer directly into the server.)

Anyway, if anyone still cares about those machines, it probably wouldn't
be hard to make a separate 'xorg-server-yeeloong' package that works
with them.  I vaguely remember thinking that a more proper fix would
involve changes to the kernel as well, to allow xorg-server to ask the
kernel where to find the framebuffer, as is done on other machines.

I confess that I have largely lost interest in the Lemote machines,
since Lemote's newer laptops require non-free blobs and I've lost
confidence that they will produce another machine that respects our
freedom anytime soon.  Meanwhile we have the Libreboot X60 (and soon
X200), the Novena, and other promising hardware in the pipeline.

    Thoughts?
       Mark