guix-devel

Re: Installing the system from another distro

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Installing the system from another distro
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:25:23 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2014-11-25 17:48 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>> I have another question.  I used "--no-grub" option, so I don't have a
>> proper grub.cfg.  I expected to see “/boot” directory with symlinks to
>> the linux and initram images but there is no such dir.  Do I understand
>> it right that “/gnu/store/…-linux-libre-3.17.4/bzImage” and
>> “/gnu/store/…-base-initrd/initrd” are hardcoded in the "grub.cfg"?
>
> Yes, that’s correct.
>
> Actually, when passing --no-grub, ‘guix system’ doesn’t even bother
> generating grub.cfg (see ‘perform-action’ in (guix scripts system).)
>
> So if you really want to use --no-grub, you should retrieve the kernel
> and initrd file names, and manually add them to your bootloader’s
> config.
>
> One way to do that is to run:
>
>   guix system build my-system-config.scm
>
> The returned directory name contains the initrd and kernel, among other
> things.
>
> Note that you’ll also need to pass --root= and --system= on the kernel
> command line (see the ‘operating-system-grub.cfg’ procedure.)

And --load= too :-)

> As you see, passing --no-grub is not an optimized use case.  :-)

Thanks for the pointers!  You helped to figure it out.  And the system
is awesome!!  The only big issue I've noticed so far is: the screen
resolution was 800x600 for me and xrandr didn't give any other option.
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log" told me that the module for my videocard ("sis")
wasn't loaded.  I looked at (gnu services xorg) and found that not all
available "xf86-video-…" modules are placed at "xserver.conf".  Is there
a reason for that?

Hm, perhaps I just need to install "xf86-video-sis" package (I should
have tried it before asking).

Also I have a question.  I usually add some custom lines to "xorg.conf".
I suppose currently there is no other way to do it but to make my own
xorg (slim) service.  Right?

--
Alex