guix-devel

Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Howto run guix.el correctly?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:14:17 +0300

Adam Pribyl (2014-11-23 00:04 +0300) wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014, Alex Kost wrote:
>
>> Adam Pribyl (2014-11-22 01:28 +0300) wrote:
>>
>>> I have folloed the instruction in
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Emacs-Interface
>>> to get the emacs interface for guix, but there is something missing
>>> probably.
>>>
>>> Installation of emacs and geiser was OK, I changed the path to guix.el
>>> (there is no /usr/share/ in my guix installation, I had to find guix.el
>>> in the /gnu/store), after that I can start emacs and "M-x guix-..." but
>>> every action says "Cannot open load file: no such file or directory
>>> geiser-mode".
>>
>> If you mean you did (add-to-list 'load-path "/gnu/store/..."), then it's
>> definitely not right.
>>
>>> There should probably be also the geiser path in the emacs init file or
>>> something?
>>
>> I assume you use a Guix (or GNU or whatever it should be called)
>> system.  I must admit I have not tried it yet, and all I know about
>> setting "guix.el" there I learnt from a chat with davexunit on #guix
>> today.
>>
>> So I think the following should be added to your emacs config:
>>
>> - Add dirs with "guix.el" and "geiser" to load-path (I'm absolutely
>>  not sure about the correctness of the paths, so double check please):
>>
>>  (add-to-list 'load-path
>> "/run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/")
>>  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")
>>
>> - Initial setup of geiser:
>>
>>  (require 'geiser-install)
>>
>> - Initial setup of guix:
>>
>>  (require 'guix-init)
>
> Right, I am testing it under GNU system (USB installed image with guix
> 0.8). Thanks for the point regarding geiser. This is now my ~/.emacs
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path
> "/gnu/store/ysh4fvnxr0p8xrphcikivpafgvf6g18m-guix-0.8/share/emacs/site-lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")
> (require 'geiser-install)
> (require 'guix-init)
>
> Reason for the /gnu/store path is, that guix.el is a part of guix and I
> did not found it in any profile. I've added my profile path, where the
> geiser is (as it is installed by this user), but the /run/current-system
> has no share/emacs at all. I do not know why.

Did you check the right path?  It's
"/run/current-system/profile/share/emacs...", not
"/run/current-system/share/emacs/..."

> While I got further, it is still somewhat confused as invoking
> guix-all-available-packages results in error in process sentinel: Text
> is read-only
> No prompt found!

Thanks Adam and David for reporting.  You encouraged me to install the
system (at last).  So the problem was that a default directory with guix
scheme files was not added to the %load-path (it is fixed with commit
cbbc877).  As a workaround you may perform "guix pull" – after that the
REPL should start without errors.

So to recap, to make "guix.el" work in the current system one should do
the following:

1. "guix pull" to populate "~/.config/guix/latest"  (this step will not
   be required for the future releases)

2. Install geiser: "guix package -i geiser"

3. Setup geiser  (hopefully this step will not be required soon)
   Put in your emacs config:

   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")
   (require 'geiser-install)

4. Setup "guix.el".  Put in your emacs config:

   (add-to-list 'load-path "<path-to-a-directory-with-guix.el>")
   (require 'guix-init)

I appreciate if someone confirm that the above works (or doesn't work :-)).

--
Alex