guix-devel

Re: core-updates is back

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: core-updates is back
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:22:41 +0100

John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 06:36:47PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>      John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>      > There is some oddness in cross-pkg-config: It creates a symlink to the
> real pkg-config,
>      > But does not do so for the pkg.m4 file.
>
>      Why would the missing pkg.m4 be a problem?  It’s only used when
>      bootstrapping Autoconf-based packages.
>
> Right.  If you want to bootstrap an autoconf based package (for example,
> guix-devel from package-management.scm),
> then it will fail.

Oh right, this one is a good example.  I’ll add the symlink.

>      (And if it’s really needed, it’s easy to add that symlink.)
>

>      Of course it exists!
>
> I thought that whilst bulding things were in a chroot jail where only those
> things explicitly declared as inputs
> actually existed.

More precisely, the inputs *and* their run-time dependencies are
available.

For instance, if a package has Coreutils as an input, then its build
process gets both Coreutils and libc in its chroot (otherwise the
Coreutils programs would be unusable.)

Ludo’.