guix-devel

Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 02:04:33 -0200

Em Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:12:44 -0800
Omar Radwan <address@hidden> escreveu:

> Guix is a distribution of GNU, so far the only distribution than is
> officially under the umbrella of the GNU project.

Guix is *not* a distribution of GNU; rather, it's the package manager
of GNU.  There is, however, a GNU project's distribution of the GNU
system which the Guix team is working on.  The Guix team folks are the
first ones to work on such distribution because packaging and
distributing are normally intrinsically related tasks.

> Technically, its not GNU, it's GNU/Linux, GNU is running on top of
> Linux. But if GNU was running on HURD, I think it would just be
> called GNU because HURD is part of GNU.

GNU running on top of GNU Linux-libre is technically GNU, if that is a
GNU project's distribution.  That's our view.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;