guix-devel

Re: Request for testing

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Request for testing
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:08:40 +0100

Hi Ludo and all other Guix hackers,

I figure, with your recent call for reports, it's finally time to
summarize my experience of the system image.

It's been a long-ish journey to get it to work — but a lot of that is
non-guix related :-)

The system seems to run nicely on my gluglug x60 (though it overheats
when building locally — again, a hardware limitation rather than guix).

A couple of notes made whilst using it so far (in no particular order of
importance):
- when writing the system configuration, the password field seems to
  expect the hashed value of the password.  This makes good sense, but
  it might be worth pointing out in the manual somewhere?
  (perhaps in 'User Accounts' -> 'user-account' 'password'?)
- it also took me a while to generate the hashed password (in the end I
  created the password with 'passwd', and then copied from shadow -> the
  system configuration file). This is probably not related to Guix.
- after enabling the x-server, the default shortcut to shell points to
  the wrong location (and it seems like the window manager does not
  respect the user's $PATH?).
- I have some issues with https security certificates not being used by
  curl/wget/git etc. This is not just in the guix system, but also in
  guix on Debian — solution may be simple, but I haven't found it yet
  (this caused some frustration when trying to guix pull :-) )
- adding users in the system configuration, and then removing them from
  the definition does not remove the users from the system. I have no
  idea whether this is intended or not — just something that struck me.

All in all it's very cool to actually be running GNU / Guix as a full
distro, and I'm amazed that most things "just work"!

Sorry for the lack of patches — I hope the feedback is helpful anyway.

Looking forward to 0.8,

Alex