guix-devel

Re: Propagated inputs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Propagated inputs
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:18:20 +0100

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> polkit builds two libraries, polkit-agent and polkit-gobject. According to
> pkg-config, the second one
>    Requires: gio-2.0 >= 2.18 glib-2.0 >= 2.18,
> while the first one requires nothing.
>
> So I decided to not propagate the glib input (which also contains gio), as
> potentially one could use the first library without glib. Or is it our
> policy to propagate inputs as soon as any of the built libraries requires
> them?

Yes, I would rather do that (propagate inputs as soon as one of the
built libraries requires it.)  You can put a comment there explaining
the situation.

Ideally we’d have per-output propagation, so one could put
polkit-gobject in one output and polkit-agent in another and have
different propagated inputs.  But that’s not supported ATM, and maybe
not widely useful.

Ludo’.